1. HOBO TOWNS? Tourist Restaurants With No
Restrooms? — Did You Know that many major U.S. cities once had safe, leak-proof, well-policed lean-to neighborhoods in its fringes, like in Mexico City, and like in pre-World Cup Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro?
We used to call them “Hobo Towns.” Sacramento had one. So did San Francisco.
1. A. San Francisco — In the 1980’s, the faux-liberal S.F. Mayor Dianne Feinstein bulldozed the residents of the City’s safe Mission Bay Canal Community out onto the streets, to make way for developer bonanzas like today’s condos for the rich and ATT Park.
“During the administration of Mayor Dianne Feinstein (1978-1988), San Francisco saw a development boom referred to as ‘Manhattanization.’ ” — [ http://www.sf-info.org/history/d13/homeless ]
That same mayor — that same S.F. WORSHIPER OF GENTRIFICATION — at that same time, was also putting San Francisco onto tourists’ blacklists everywhere, at least for those tourist families who had tiny children.
We know of one angry Indiana family who had been forced to scour the entire city looking for a restroom for their anxious toddler, before finding one at a McDonald’s who had dared to defy Mayor Feinstein’s [anti-poor, anti-family, anti-elderly] anti-bathroom directive!
(The late columnist Herb Caen often berated the Mayor, for her latter policy.)
1. B. SACRAMENTO — Then in 2011 and 2012, the City and County of Sacramento governments similarly kicked the poor out of their riverbank camp community.
“This is positively shameless!” wrote one reader. “How can our elected officials have people physically displaced from a camp where there is at the very least some form of community without providing adequate alternatives? Seems they would much rather have them simply slink off into the bushes. Out of sight, out of mind!” [ http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/tragedy-on-the-river/content?oid=4787124 ]
The very-hot-in-the-summer City of Sacramento has become so Tent-a-Phobic, that even private homeowners and their children are NOT ALLOWED to pitch tents for any longer than one night! IN THEIR OWN BACKYARDS! [www.safegroundsac.org]
Back in the 1960’s, also in Sacramento, lonely seniors had been chased out of the downtown park near the Central Library, to discourage them from patronizing Sacramento’s Central Library and Main Post Office. To deprive senior gents of limited means of having a life.
1. C. ALBANY, CALIFORNIA — In May 2014, Campers Were Evicted from the “Albany Bulb“. They were chased onto the streets of nearby Berkeley, which city, in turn, protested! [ http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2014-05-02/article/42081?headline=Campers-are-Evicted-from-the-Albany-Bulb–By-Lydia-Gans ]
1. D. SAO PAOLO & Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL — The evicted poor have been forced to relocate into abandoned factories. [ http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/12/priced-out-rio-favelas-brazil-poor-mass-squatting ]
2. REDEVELOPMENT? — In the 1960’s and 1970’s, San Francisco, Sacramento, and countless other American cities had the brilliant idea to sweep blue collar workers out of town via redevelopment — especially blue collar workers who were also Black.
As a consequence, “California cities, a destination for black migrants from 1940 to 1970, have changed as well. The state has lost black migrants for the first time in three decades. San Francisco has had the largest decrease in black population.”
[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_flight ]
3. ABOVE ALL, CONTINUALLY COVER YOUR CORRUPTION BY SHOUTING “AFFORDABLE HOUSING!” — Even while making Public Housing more and more difficult to access.